Saturday, February 2, 2013

What I Did This Winter - Art Dump

Hey readers,

It's been almost a month since my last post, for me, 2013 didn't start off quite as well as I would've hoped! My computer had to be repaired in the second week of the year already. Thankfully the repair didn't take that long and I was able to upgrade my computer. Windows 7 is now starting within 30 seconds and Photoshop and Max are opened within 5 seconds and run smoothly with all the heavy (extra) plugins. I'm really amazed how much faster SSD's work, at first I was skeptic but I've completely changed my mind.

Besides that, my Dad (who is 71 as of writing this) has joined a computer club! He barely worked on a computer before but now he really wants to explore what these machines are capable of. I just wanted to point out I'm very proud of him that he had the guts to start working with computer at his age.

Tileable textures

The tileable textures are created in Zbrush, where I started with the high poly mesh and applied the polypaint during or after the texture composing.

Destructible Study

I was working on these destructible studies to explore how concrete reacts in different circumstances. All are sculpted in Zbrush. As you can see the top row are all concrete studies and the bottom-left one. The last few sculpts are old/rotten wood.

Organic - Hand Study

I picked this asset up after one and a half year. Back then I think I got overwhelmed with all the anatomical terms and the complex forms. As some character artists even refer to hands as being one of the most difficult shapes of the human body.
Somehow I've decided to finish off some of my older project that I left unfinished. I learned a lot of tips and tricks concerning art creation, so I've decided to put the knowledge I've gained to the test. I really enjoyed the texturing/polypaint process, it felt so easy/logical to add in small details in the texture on top of the high poly mesh. This tech is something I'd like to use more often if possible.

Low Poly - The low poly is realtime viewed in UDK with the new DX11 features like Tessellation and Subsurface Scattering  The asset was intended to be develop for a next-gen game consoles, I also kept in mind the edge-flow for animation. So if you're interested feel free to animate it!

Shader - It's a rather simple setup with the added DX11 features in UDK. Most textures are 2048*2048px except for the sub-dermal texture, for example. The tattoos, to optimize texture load I've made a multichannel texture, so in one of the green-channels I copied in the tattoos. I've also added another UV-channel, where I mapped the part of the model I'd like to show up the tattoos. The con of this method is - an extra texture (eventhough it's multichannel in this case), the pro - I can have a set of hands with or without tattoos and I have a rather high pixel-density.

Organic - Tree Branches

All modeled from High Poly meshes, baked on Low Poly planes. Was very fun to experiment with the new workflow. Texturing is done more quickly and the meshes look more detailed, compared to the trees that I've done in the past.

2D Study

As in the previous blog post I've stated I'd like expand my 2D texture skills, especially I'd like to make environments and weapons.


Stefan Groenewoud
Freelance 3D-artist

I am just sharing my thoughts and interesting artwork to other artists out there. This blog is used for educational purposes and/or tracking of Stefan Groenewoud his personal work.

No comments:

Post a Comment